Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Recession Cometh (Maybe)

The Stock Market is not doing well and recession fears are mounting. Is this just the media needing a good story or should we all be worried about the economy?

I don’t know but, like any blogger worth his weight, I have an opinion. As many of you know, I’m a freelance writer working in advertising and marketing. When companies face hard times, the first thing they cut is their advertising budget (i.e. Hyundai’s decision to pull its Super Bowl ads). The first thing advertising agencies cut is the amount of work given out to freelancers. Thus, when economic times turn rough, advertising freelancers often face the first blow.

Think of me as a canary in the mine. And guys, I’m not doing so well.

My regular sources of work have dried up and I’m struggling to find new opportunities. Maybe this is just an individual problem and not indicative of larger economic ills. But when I hear we’re headed for a recession my first thought is: hell, I’m already in one.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Very sorry to hear it, ASC.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Alan Stewart Carl said...

Thanks. I'll be fine. My wife generally makes more money than me anyway. And I'm wily -- I'll get jobs.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home