Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Returns and New Normals

First, for those of you who don't know, two of the best bloggers have recently come out of hiatus and are back at the keyboard.

Fellow three-namer Richard Lawrence Cohen is back at his eponymous blog and back to sharing his musings on life, his flash fiction and his general mastery of words and imagery.

And the pseudonymed but otherwise in-your-face M. Takhallus is back at Sideways Menken dispensing his signature brand of cutting political and social commentary.

The blogosphere is better for their return.

As for my creeping return to blogging … I have a little story. I was speaking to a friend a few weeks back and I commented that now that my daughter is approaching 3 months in age, I believed my family would get back to normal soon. This friend responded that, after you have a new child, there is no getting back to normal. You can, however, find a new normal.

So, that’s where I am. I’m finding a new normal. But this blog is actually going to be finding an old normal. When I started Maverick Views, my intention was to be more broad in scope than was my first blog, The Yellow Line. But somehow I fell back into the pattern of writing predominately about politics. What this means is that, if there’s nothing that politically interests me, I find no reason to blog. But a blog un-posted on is a blog that’s dying.

Since I’d like Maverick Views to live past one-year, I’m going to be more expansive in my writings. Exactly as I planned from the start. So, look for posts on sports, on religion, on culture, on entertainment, on food … whatever I find interesting. Hopefully you’ll find it interesting as well.

The old normal. Just as good as a new normal.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael Reynolds said...

Back to normal. Yes. Yes, Alan, that is totally going to happen. Once kids hit 3 months there's really very little left to do.

So, what's the deal with you and me and RLC? Are we all just addicts? We can't stop ourselves? We can't shut up?

6:10 PM  
Blogger Alan Stewart Carl said...

M. Tak ... considering our "normal" was staying at home with the 3-year old every weekend and sometimes eating at family restaurants, my expectations weren't too high.

As for us ... addicted to communication. Clearly our parents didn't pay us enough attention.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Michael Reynolds said...

You know what's great? A three year gap is perfect for sibling rivalry.

Ah, the fun you'll have. The impotent screams of "you kids knock it off!" The pathetic flailing at the back seat as they do their best to cause you to drive into an abutment. The despair and self-loathing as you realize that your main occupation is arbitrating disputes involving imaginary slights and invisible differences in cookie size.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home